Ayurvedic Face Rejuvenation
Himalayan Mt. Abhyanga
Tibetan Chakra Stone Ritual
Tibetan Blissful Sleep
Marma & Mud Magic
Skin Type Assessment
Choosing the Correct
Skin Care Oil
Choosing the Correct
Body Care Oil
& Advice Form
for Vata, Pitta,
& Kapha Types
SHIRO means "head" and DHARA means "stream." So SHIRODHARA, literally translated from the Sanskrit means to play a fine stream of warm liquid on the head. In the spa setting, most often the liquid played is oil that may or may not be infused with herbs. Buttermilk,very concentrated salt solutions, and hydrosols can also be used. In general, what we at Diamond Way Ayurveda recommend for spas is to use refined sesame oil. (Many of the herbally infused shirodhara oils are best used in clinical settings and simply add unnecessary expense for spa operators.)
In the spa setting,the stream of oil flows between 10 to 25 minutes, using about 1.25 pints of oil. In a more clinical setting under the care of an Ayurvedic physician, the oil may stream up to 48 minutes.
In either a spa or clinical situation, the oil most often flows in a steady stream on the middle of the forehead, the point that is also known as the "third eye" or Ajna chakra. Shirodhara can also be done by playing the oil on the crown of the head, again a chakra point, which is a Tibetan style, or in various patterns on the forehead.
Tibetan Shirodhara is the name we have given to the signature treatment we teach and practice. It is a 90-minute sequence that brings together four Tibetan body therapies in a seamless rhythm and is designed to help balance all of the subtle energies of the body - Vata, Pitta, and Kapha - and take the client on a personal journey into a peaceful and profoundly deep state of relaxed awareness.
Describe it in your service menu like this...
"Take time to go deep and feel totally supported at all levels of your being. Tibetan Shirodhara takes you on a journey through a seamless rhythm of four traditional Tibetan bodywork techniques that conclude with the poring of a continuous stream of warm oil over the forehead to profoundly relax the body and bring peace and clarity to the mind. Rest in quiet space and experience your true self. Shirodhara is a deeply nurturing psycho-spiritual experience that attunes the body/mind towards spontaneous healing."
(WATCH A CLIP OF SHIRODHARA )
Who Benefits from Receiving Tibetan Shirodhara?
Shirodhara is called psycho-spiritual massage in Tibetan medicine. We feel it is the treatment that most embodies a total mind, body, and spirit experience and we recommend it for clients that need:
- deep relaxation and/or stress reduction
- rejuvenation after deep cleansing
- better decision making power
- better clarity and focus
- to quickly recover from jetlag
- to deeply rest and nourish the nervous system
Shirodhara can work very deeply on every level of the mind. For this reason, we counsel therapists to have clients signs a Shirodhara Information and Advice form that clearly informs them of precautions and contraindications.
More benefits from each of the Four Steps of Tibetan Shirodhara
Step One: Benefits of the Psychological Stress Sequence
A gentle anointing of twelve marma (vital energy) points with essential oils calms the mind and helps the client to feel more present physically and mentally. Balancing for all the doshas.
Step Two: Benefits of the Abdominal Massage
Warmed scented oil is poured into the navel and then gently and rhythmically massaged into the belly to physically increase blood supply to the gut and energetically attract excess Vata dosha back to the "seat" of Vata - the large intestine. This has a deeply calming effect.
Step Three: Benefits of the Tibetan Eye Rejuvenation Treatment
A cooling eye pillow is rested over the closed eyes to coax the eye area to relax as the feet are massaged with scented clarified butter or coconut oil and the hands massaged with essential oils. The feet are then cleaned with an ubtan cleansing powder and then rested upon warmed stones or salt blocks. This process calms Pitta dosha, attracts heat away from the eyes, which naturally become rehydrated. Also helps to pull additional excess Vata from the head region.
Step Four: The Benefits of Shirodhara
A continuous fine stream of warm oil is poured continuously over the forehead for 10 to 25 minutes. The touch of the oil opens marma (vital energy) points that allow the body/mind to sink into a deep letting go. The subtle energy channels that form the chakras are relaxed around the "third eye" chakra, which brings a freshness and clarity to the mind. Shirodhara balances all of the doshas. It can even facilitate a spontaneous re-adjustment of the neck and spinal vertabra.
A complete renewal for the body, mind, and spirit. Shirodhara provides rest as refreshing as a great night's sleep, a calm, clear mind that is more able to focus, and the experience of connecting to one's inner self, thus the inclination to do and be better.
PLEASE NOTE: The techniques themselves are not complicated. But, in order for the treatment to be effective and create the results described, a level of compassionate mindfulness is demanded of the therapist. Furthermore, the outer environment in which the shirodhara takes place should be viewed as a sacred space while the treatment is occurring.
Shirodhara is very calming and relaxing for my body during the treatment. Afterwards, my mind is very clear and all extraneous internal chatter gone." Karuna Fluhart
For Shirodhara in general, besides the equipment itself, we recommend...
- Cool Eyes Pillow - a light, small eye-shaped pillow filled with flax and psyllium seed that is naturally cooling
- Head Support Pillow - a cotton covered foam pillow designed to efficiently support the neck and head
- Tummy Warmer - a cotton covered pillow filled with rice, fennel, and salt designed to be warmed in a microwave or hot towel cabi. Will hold it's warmth for 1 hour.
- To learn the step by step process of performing shirodhara, Melanie's book, Ayurvedic Beauty Care , Robert's book, Tibetan Ayurveda , and Diamond Way Ayurveda's DVD, "The Art and Practice of Shirodhara " are excellent resources. Melanie and Robert's Ayurvedic Spa , is excellent for learning their signature Tibetan Shirodhara sequence.
Products included in the
Deluxe Shirodhara Package :
- Full Copper Shirodhara Set
- Cool Eyes
- Head and Neck Pillow
- Tummy Warmer
- Training DVD
For performing our Tibetan Shirodhara sequence, you also need the following Diamond Way Ayurvedic products - or their equivalents...
- Vata, Pitta, and Kapha body massage oils for the abdominal massage, hand massage, and specific marma points
- Body and Sole Stones - terracota stones with massaging noppies on them for the Tibetan Eye rejuvenation treatment (can also you other hot rock therapy stones if you have them already.)
- Anise Foot Massage Oil as part of the Tibetan Eye rejuvenation treatment
To book an appointment to receive this treatment, contact us at 805-543-9291, 866-303-3321 or email us at email@example.com .
If you feel inspired to learn more, please join us in a class ...
Our Tibetan Shirodhara treatment provides the space to go deep, experience profound relaxation, and feel totally supported. We have brought together four Tibetan massage techniques in a seamless rhythm ending with shirodhara, the pouring of a continuous stream of warm oil over the middle of the forehead to profoundly relax the body and bring peace and clarity to the mind. Tibetan Shirodhara gently coaxes the clients to rest in a quiet space and experience their true selves - a deeply nurturing and psycho - spiritual experience. This is a process that demands a therapist to develop and embody a mindful attitude and create a space for their client that is both safe and 'sacred.' If given in such an environment, the client will have an experience that is physically nurturing, mentally calming and which will help them become more in touch with their inner being.
- Bringing balance to the three doshas, subtle energies, by working on particular parts of the body such as the abdomen, the eyes and the chest
- Indicators and precautions for offering the shirodhara treatment
- Discussion of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha mind types or qualities and how to customize the treatment
- How shirodhara works
- Customizing the oils, oil temperature, and pattern of application for shirodhara
- Eco-friendly oil disposal
- palpating diagnostic points
- Tibetan marma point massage for relieving psychological stress
- abdominal massage using oil, marma points and the application of a warm Tummy Warmer
- Tibetan Eye Rejuvenation therapy for relief of stress held around the eyes. This includes eye massage, use of eye pillow, customized lotion and hot stone application to the feet.
- Shirodhara- application of continuous stream of warm oil to the forehead
- Use of equipment and customizing temperature stream and patterns of application
- Optional scalp and hand massage
- preparation of tea and snack
Back to Top